How to Apply for a Patent
How to apply for a patent on your own can be done if you are willing to do it. It is not impossible although the biggest drawback on how to apply for a patent is that you donít have the luxury of a professional advice.
It is important to take note in how to apply for a patent that there are three kinds of patents: (1) utility patents, granted to the inventor or discoverer of any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof; (2) plant patents, granted on any distinct and new variety of asexually reproduced plant; and (3) design patents, granted on any new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture.
Utility and plant patents are granted for a term which begins on the date of the grant and ends 20 years from the date the patent application was first filed, subject to the payment of maintenance fees; design patents are granted for a term of 14 years from the date of the grant.
There are some advantages on how to apply for a patent that you cannot overlook though. How to apply for a patent could certainly save you money. Also, how to apply for a patent enables you to learn several skills most especially in research. In how to apply for a patent the most basic step is to make sure that your invention qualifies for a patent or what you call patentable. Also, if you want how to apply for a patent you need to describe all aspects of your invention. Some steps on how to apply for a patent are easy, others are more difficult. As with all new endeavors, you will succeed by trial and error. But by taking the process of how to apply for a patent one step at a time, you can acquire a patent later on.The following are the basic steps on how to apply for a patent:
1. Keep a careful record of your invention. In how to apply for a patent it is important to keep a record of the invention process in a notebook. Sign and date each entry and have two reliable witnesses sign as well.
2. Make sure your invention qualifies for patent protection. In how to apply for a patent you need to show that your invention is new, non-obvious and useful.
3. Assess the commercial potential of your invention. Before you spend the time and money to file a patent application, you need to research the market you hope to enter.
4. Do a thorough patent search. To make sure your invention is new, you need to search all the earlier developments in your field.
5. Prepare and file an application with the USPTO. You can file a full-blown regular patent application (RPA) or you can file a provisional patent application (PPA) on the invention.